Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gel Junkie

We have $1,500 to go! Click here to donate, my pretties.

During training and races, triathletes are supposed to take in liquid, carbs, and even salt to keep up energy and hydration.

Here is Chris Legh. He talks funny.

Chris Legh was fist-pumping waaay before The Situation

In the Water Bottle
I actually don't usually drink Gatorade, but that video demonstrates the importance of hydration and carbs in a long race. I prefer Nuun, which comes in the form of a tablet. Drop it in your water bottle and you've got a drink that keeps you well hydrated without all the sugar of Gatorade. Here is a review from lovingthebike.com
I’ve only used Nuun a few times; about 7 times on the road...each and every time, I have had an incredible ride. If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I would say that when I use Nuun, it honestly feels as if oxygen is being pumped into my bloodstream. I’m serious. I have visions of the O2 cells pumping through my veins. And of course, more oxygen in the blood means higher performance from the body. This is the experience I’ve had using Nuun on outdoor road rides.
 That guy and Nuun should get a room together. I always ride with Nuun in my water bottle. A tube of 12 tablets is about $10. Visit Nuun.com.

GEL
Our training group does "bricks" every Saturday, which is a bike then a run. Last Saturday we rode 20 miles then hopped off the bike and ran 4 miles. A couple miles before the end of the bike ride, I'll take a Hammer Gel or Powerbar Gel. They provide you with carbs which provide you with energy! Rip the top off and suck it down. The taste is surprisingly not bad! Powerbar and Nuun have been kind enough to supply our Team In Training with products during training. Thanks! Below you can see where someone taped a line of gels to his bike. During the Music City, I taped one to the bike. Person in photo below is gearing for a half-Ironman. This enables you to rip it off the bike and it's ready to eat/drink/slurp/hack-up.
An old Gel Junkie living by a bridge, chasing the dragon.

AWARDS:
The Surprise! Award: This one goes to the most surprising donation. I didn't know, and I'm still not sure, if I emailed Becca Booth but she managed to make an incredibly kind donation this week! Thank you, Becca! Now if we can only get your friends Tina & Victoria on board...

Can you believe we've raised $2,200 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society? The deadline to reach our goal is Aug. 27th. That's really soon! Click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment